Electricity is a major cause of accidental fires in UK homes – over 20,000 each year. An electrical installation is the wiring in a home including the electrical intake, fuse box and the lighting and power circuits. Causes of electrical fires Nine out of 10 (89%) electrical fires are caused by electrical products. A relatively small percentage (11%) are caused by faults in installations or by people not using installations properly. Pro M&E can carry out maintenance and testing for you by giving us a call our friendly team can assist with any queries or concerns you have.

By having the electrics in your home checked regularly and by taking some simple precautions with your electrical appliances, you can reduce the risk of fire. The five products that cause the most electrical fires in UK homes are:

  • Electric cooking appliances
  • Laundry appliances
  • Electrical lighting.
  • Portable heaters.
  • TVs.

Fire facts

  • 46 deaths per year*
  • 2,469 injuries per year*
  • Over £100 million in damage to private property.
  • Faulty appliances alone cause £41.6 million of damage per year, with electric cookers (£24m) and lighting (£13m) among the largest contributors.

Tips

  • Check your sockets regularly – if you see burn marks or they feel hot, get a registered electrician to check if they need repairing or replacing.
  • Have additional sockets installed if existing sockets and/or adaptors are overloaded.
  • Turn off any electrical appliances that you are not using, particularly at night, when a fire can quickly spread unnoticed and cause more danger and damage.
  • Check flexible cables to appliances before plugging them in to use. Check for damage, and wear and tear, and that the plug is fastened securely to the cable. Don’t use the appliance unless it and its cable are in good condition.
  • Be careful when using hand-held electrical appliances and make sure that you switch them off and unplug them when you have finished. This is particularly important with items that get very hot in normal use, such as hair dryers and straighteners which, if you leave them on, can easily cause any combustible material that they are in contact with to catch fire.
  • Don’t Overload electrical adaptors by plugging too many appliances into one socket, especially appliances with a high electrical current rating such as kettles, irons and heaters. Visit electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/ overloading sockets to check that your sockets are safe.
  • Put electric heaters near curtains or furniture, or dry clothes on them.
  • Cover the air vents on storage heaters or fan heaters
  • Trail flexible cables under carpets or rugs.

Leave a Reply

Free Audit
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
×