Category

Safety

Fires In The Home

By | Safety | No Comments

Electricity is a major cause of accidental fires in UK homes – over 20,000 each year. An electrical installation is the wiring in a home including the electrical intake, fuse box and the lighting and power circuits. Causes of electrical fires Nine out of 10 (89%) electrical fires are caused by electrical products. A relatively small percentage (11%) are caused by faults in installations or by people not using installations properly. Pro M&E can carry out maintenance and testing for you by giving us a call our friendly team can assist with any queries or concerns you have.

By having the electrics in your home checked regularly and by taking some simple precautions with your electrical appliances, you can reduce the risk of fire. The five products that cause the most electrical fires in UK homes are:

  • Electric cooking appliances
  • Laundry appliances
  • Electrical lighting.
  • Portable heaters.
  • TVs.

Fire facts

  • 46 deaths per year*
  • 2,469 injuries per year*
  • Over £100 million in damage to private property.
  • Faulty appliances alone cause £41.6 million of damage per year, with electric cookers (£24m) and lighting (£13m) among the largest contributors.

Tips

  • Check your sockets regularly – if you see burn marks or they feel hot, get a registered electrician to check if they need repairing or replacing.
  • Have additional sockets installed if existing sockets and/or adaptors are overloaded.
  • Turn off any electrical appliances that you are not using, particularly at night, when a fire can quickly spread unnoticed and cause more danger and damage.
  • Check flexible cables to appliances before plugging them in to use. Check for damage, and wear and tear, and that the plug is fastened securely to the cable. Don’t use the appliance unless it and its cable are in good condition.
  • Be careful when using hand-held electrical appliances and make sure that you switch them off and unplug them when you have finished. This is particularly important with items that get very hot in normal use, such as hair dryers and straighteners which, if you leave them on, can easily cause any combustible material that they are in contact with to catch fire.
  • Don’t Overload electrical adaptors by plugging too many appliances into one socket, especially appliances with a high electrical current rating such as kettles, irons and heaters. Visit electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/ overloading sockets to check that your sockets are safe.
  • Put electric heaters near curtains or furniture, or dry clothes on them.
  • Cover the air vents on storage heaters or fan heaters
  • Trail flexible cables under carpets or rugs.

Blown a Fuse

By | Electricity, Household, Safety, Savings | No Comments

Even when homeowners make an effort to turn everything off when they leave a room, some devices can continue to drain energy from your home and money from your wallet long after you flip the switch. Be aware of some of the worst culprits so you can consider unplugging if you don’t really need them in standby. Our list doesn’t include the obvious candidates opting to focus on overlooked consumers.

Game Consoles

Your Games Console can cost you more than £100 each year if you don’t make an effort to keep them turned off while not in use. Modern consoles usually come with a standby mode that drains nearly no power, but if you leave a console running around the clock like some, it can prove disastrous both in terms of power usage and system performance.

 

Microwaves

Microwaves gobble up power when they’re in use, but what about when they’re not? Microwaves are constantly drawing power to illuminate their clocks and keep their buttons on standby, and this can add up over time.

 

Fully Charged Devices

In the habit of leaving your laptop or phone on the charger after it reaches 100 percent? You’re probably wasting power. The power use from most chargers tapers off after charging a device, but they’re still burning electricity without any benefit to you or your device. Try to keep tabs on your charging habits

By making these changes in your daily habits can save you ££ but can also reduce the risk of fire in your home.

Switch Off By The Plug!

Is Your Business Safe?

By | Business, Electricity, Safety | No Comments

PAT testing is something most businesses are aware of, although many business owners are not entirely sure how it affects them and which appliances have to be compliant. Making sure you maintain your business appliances before its too late is key.  

Environments such as offices, shops and community centres can contain a variety of portable electrical appliances which by law must be maintained if they can cause danger in any way.

Appliances such as radios, kettles, vacuums, desktops, monitors and photocopiers, phone chargers, laptop chargers and extension leads. All these portable items that generally have a lead and a plug and can be moved around.

Checks should be carried out often enough to ensure there is little chance the equipment will become unsafe between checks. It is good practice to make a decision on how often each piece of equipment should be checked, write this down, make sure checks are carried out accordingly and write down the results. You should change how often you carry out checks, according to the number and severity of faults found.

The best way to find out if specialised equipment is safe is to have it inspected and tested by a person with specific competence on that type of equipment.

If keeping on top of electrical safety at work proves to be a bit overwhelming, don’t panic! As qualified electricians we will inspect your portable electrical appliances, carry out PAT testing and repair items. We’re always happy to give advice so that you know exactly what your business needs to do to comply with the regulations, which appliances need testing and how often.

Call Us Now For A Free No Obligation Quote: 01274 955178

pat-testing

Free Audit
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
×